Saturday, June 22, 2013

A "Little" Gift

As long as I can remember I’ve been an avid reader. Reading has shaped some of my fondest educational experiences—from participating in countless summer reading programs at the Fortuna Library to reading The Last of the Really Great Wangdoodles in Mrs. Giffith’s sixth grade class (I can vividly remember drawing a picture of what I thought a wangdoodle looked like)—a good book has always easily engulfed me.

After reading Charlotte’s Web to my third and fourth graders, I knew reading and studying literature would have to be part of our regular classroom curriculum. The children LOVED that book. A few of the little girls even cried (spoiler alert!) when Charlotte died. It reminded me how literature has the power to take us to a different world.

I started to think about how my students would benefit from participating more fully in our literature units. What if they could have their own copy in their hands? Seeing the words in front of them would certainly increase their comprehension as well as provide opportunities to practice reading on their own. I mentioned my idea to my mother-in-law, a former teacher, and she said she would see what she could do. Approximately a month later I received a class set of Stuart Little in the mail! 




My students are delighted to have their own copy to read! I still read aloud, but now they also read on their own, with partners, and to the whole class. It has greatly enhanced our literature program. I love looking around the room and seeing my students engrossed in their books! 

If you are a fellow book lover, perhaps you would be interested in donating a class set of children’s literature to New Life Primary School? Please contact me if this is something you get excited about. Eventually, we’d like to strengthen our library to include at least three different class sets.
Special thanks to the Whited family for the awesome bulletin board goodies!

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic! You are doing amazing things.

    ReplyDelete